Baby massage is one of the most integral parts of baby care. Massage has many health benefits. It is popular in almost all cultures & parts of the world. Baby massage not only soothes infant’s body & make them more alert. Doctors & experts have different views on the benefits of baby massage. However, this is an age-old tradition which has been practiced since a long time. The techniques might differ but the ground rules remain the same.
It is imperative for the new moms to know the proper baby massage techniques so as to get the maximum benefits from it.
Benefits of Baby Massage
- Strengthen bonding between baby & mother. The first interaction between the mother & baby is through touch. Baby feels safe & loved with the mother. It is good for baby’s emotional well-being too.
- Good to relieve discomfort. if the baby is experiencing discomfort, crying, sleeplessness, baby massage can help greatly to relieve discomfort.
- Strengthen bones & muscles. Regular baby massage strengthens the bones & aid in building muscle power. which help in later stages of development.
- Boost immunity. Massage helps to build body immunity making babies stronger & less prone to infections.
- Helps baby to sleep better. Many babies are fussy sleepers. There are many factors that disrupt the baby’s sleep. It is a proven fact that massage helps in curing sleeplessness. A baby massage followed by bath induce sound sleep.
- Increase alertness. Massage increase reflexes. Babies learn to show their needs, pleasure & displeasure.
- Relieve the wind, colic discomfort & teething problem
Must Read: 5 AMAZING TIPS ON BABY BATHING TIME
Baby Massage Technique
- Choose a relaxing atmosphere.
- Keep everything ready. A clean cloth, towel, massage oil, cleaning cloth.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before massaging baby
- Choose a flat surface for the massage. It shouldn’t be too hard for the baby
- Start from the leg & gradually move upward.
- Make sure to apply uniform pressure. Avoid harsh or forced strokes.
- Massage baby in clockwise & anti-clockwise motion using finger tips gently.
- If the baby is willing, feed the baby after the massage.
- Baby massage can be given during the day or bedtime as per your & baby’s schedule.
Choosing the right product for massage
When it comes to baby skin, you must be really careful while using any product. We often make the mistake of using any regular oils to massage babies. Oils with strong fragrance & chemical can be harmful to the baby skin. JOHNSON’S® baby oil is one of the trusted & widely used baby oil all over the world. Its soothing fragrance & ability to lock up to 10 times more moisture in the baby skin are ideal qualities for baby massage.
Mistakes To Avoid While Massaging a baby
- Always massage the baby in an optimum temperature. It shouldn’t be too hot or too cold as babies can’t regulate their body temperature.
- Fix your schedule for the massage. You must choose a proper time of the day for the massage & keep it regular. Your baby will get accustomed to the routine & will look forward to it.
- Too much or too Little pressure. Massaging should be gentle & rhythmically. Baby skin is gentle. Harsh strokes can harm the baby.
- Avoid using too much of oil. The quantity of oil doesn’t determine the quality of massage. Use appropriate quantity. You must strictly avoid contact with eyes & ears.
- Massaging when the baby is not well is not recommended. During cold, cough, fever or any other illness you must not massage the baby.
- In the case of redness of skin or rash, discontinue immediately.
- DO NOT massage immediately after feeding.
For more information on baby massage techniques, watch this amazing video – How to massage a baby by @Johnsons Baby
Hope you liked the information on baby massage. Now its time for all you lovely moms to share your ‘BABY BONDING MOMENTS’ with us. You can win yourself a fabulous “JOHNSON’S® baby HAMPER” . YAY!!! 🙂
Here are the rules of the contest.
- Share a picture of your baby’s massage or bath time.
- Write a caption in 2-3 lines ‘How baby massage & bath time help you bond with your baby’?
- You MUST use this hashtag in your caption #johnsonsbaby
- LIKE @sweetsharing page by clicking link here https://www.facebook.com/sweetsharing/
- The picture with the best caption will be selected as the winner ( Popularity/Likes will be taken into account)
- The results will be final.
- Contest open to Indian Residents only. The contest ends on 15th September 2016.
So what are you waiting for? Start sending your entries here https://www.facebook.com/sweetsharing/ through the message.
( *The image is for representation purpose only. The actual hamper might differ in content & appearance)
If you enjoy reading our articles, DO Subscribe the newsletter for regular updates or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+ & Pinterest to join our community of 30k Followers. Happy Reading!