Being active & healthy is a lifestyle we must adapt. In the summertime, you really want to go outside and be active. However, have your allergies started to act up, already? If yes, you might not know and you may have Hay fever, too.
According to a study, close to 16.9 of the population suffers from Hay fever or seasonal allergic rhinitis! The symptoms are pretty similar to other seasonal allergies caused by pollens, grass, weed molds & high humidity.
People who don’t have seasonal allergic rhinitis in childhood may develop it later. Hay fever treatment varies from person to person depending on the severity of the allergy. In this article, we will discuss the symptoms, types & Hay fever Treatment.
Must Read: How to fight common diseases during Monsoons
Hay Fever Treatment
Although this simple name has a complicated namesake too –Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis, this is one of the most common occurrences, which a human being faces in their lifetime. Coupled with a disturbing reaction and a painful inflammation.
Hay fever is usually triggered when our body reacts with the allergens, which are found most commonly in the air like pollen, dust particles, pet hair, etc.
Common Hay Fever Symptoms
If you are underestimating this syndrome, you might be wrong as this will not help you at all. Hence, before you go for hay fever treatment, you must know the symptoms, which are usually associated with it!
- Continuous Sneezing: You will not have a moment to yourself and you will only curse yourself with the number of sneezes, which will come your way.
- Stuffy Nose: This is also another symptom of rhinitis and you will not feel good at all, as you will be unable to breathe.
- Inflammation: This also comes with Hay Fever and it will make you very grumpy and you will lose the interest to work or do anything.
- Red Eyes: With all the symptoms attacking you, it is evident that you will face a lot of problems when it comes to your eyes, too and this will be a problem for you.
Hay fever Treatment depends on the severity of these symptoms, age & medical condition of the patient.
What are the various types of Hay Fever?
Historically speaking, there are usually two types of hay fever –
Seasonal allergies are usually caused due to external allergens like pollen grains, which is caused during the spring or fall season.
Perennial allergies can happen anytime, during the year due to dust particles, mold, pet hair, etc. from inside the house, too.
While looking for hay fever treatment one must keep in mind the medical history of the patient & the type of hay fever he is suffering from.
Some of the common causes of Hay Fever
Although hay fever is caused due to allergens and differs from people to people, still, there are some of the most common allergens, which can be a direct villain to cause allergic rhinitis. They are:
- Pollen Grain Pet Hair
- Dust particles
- Dead Skin cells of Animals, etc.
What are the ways in which You can ease your symptoms?
1.Start Staying indoors: One of the best hay fever treatment is by staying indoors at all times and keeping your doors and windows closed.
Usually, when you go out, a lot of pollutants can affect your body and that will aggravate your allergic rhinitis.
You can take a clean shower and cleanse your nostrils, and remove your clothes, so that you can remain allergen-free, completely.
2. Nasal-Washing can be great ease: If the hay fever is causing a lot of problems, you can easily try getting your nose cleaned with warm saline water. This is an excellent home remedy to get rid of the excess mucus as well as the allergens.
They cause a great deal of irritation, while you are doing your daily activities. You can use a neti-pot or a squeeze bottle to get this done.
3.Try Applying some Petroleum Jelly: This is one more way, in which you can ease the irritation and the feeling.
When you apply some petroleum jelly to your nose, it eases the stuffy nose and also helps you with inflammation. The petroleum jelly can also help with the dryness, caused by continuous blowing.
4. Do not underestimate the symptoms: If you keep on underestimating the symptoms, you will not make headway and this may escalate to asthma in the future or other respiratory disorders.
Hence, if you want a permanent fix, you will have to take necessary precautions & look for effective hay fever treatment before the condition worsen.
5. You have to treat it on time: The best suggestion, which you can get is to visit the doctor on time and get it checked by someone.
If you know a specialist who takes care of ears, nose, and throat, you must consult them and ensure that your sinus is healthy. They can also prescribe you medicines and other tests so that the same does not repeat itself.
6. Try taking an allergen test: Yes, this one is highly effective as it helps you to understand the allergens, which might be bothering you and making you to cause allergic rhinitis.
With an allergen test, in the near future, you can stay away from the dust particles, or pollen grains, and you will never have to face this nightmare, again.
7. Nasal Sprays ease the symptoms: Since most of it is related to your nose only and the allergy hits that only, you can try a nasal cleaning solution and it will clear your stuffy nose, and keep you away from the pain of not being able to sleep at night, too.
Some of the widely accepted nasal clearing solutions are Otrivin and Nasivion, readily available in the market.
You may like to read: Nasobuddy Cough and Cold Balm for kids
8. Medicines that can help You: Usually, one should not go for self-medication. Still, if the symptoms have aggravated a lot and you have nothing else to do, you can go for anti-histamines from the counter and try it. It will surely help you to ease the pain.
9. Use of Corticosteroids (only under medical supervision): Many of the emergency rooms recommend nasal steroids or corticosteroids as Hay fever treatment.
It is to ease the inflammation and irritation caused by allergic rhinitis and the swollen blood vessels. They also help from asthma and the steroids are a great relief.
They are usually inhalable corticosteroids and are not something, which can cause addiction. Also, you will have to be careful about the use as there can be side-effects and you will have to be patient about it.
Is the prevention of allergies possible?
In the above section, we read about how one can ease the symptoms & go for an accurate Hay fever treatment. A lot of times, we have in mind how we can prevent allergies from happening. If that is the case, then this part of the article can be influential for You.
⇒Pollen Grains: If this is one of the major stimulators of hay fever in you, then you must be careful during the spring.
The best thing will be to start prescribed medication/Hay fever Treatment before the change of season, taking precautions while going out, showering right after a visit to the outdoors, washing hands, and staying home during peak pollen hours.
⇒Dust Mites: You will have to start by keeping your house clean at all times. This is something, which you can control, internally.
Start by mopping your floors wet, and dusting the hard surfaces, at regular intervals. You can also try taking good care of your bedding, as those can attract dust mites, as well.
⇒ Pet Hair: If you cannot get rid of the animals you are allergic to, then, you will have to be very cautious around their presence.
You can wash and dry clean your clothes, after every encounter with an animal you are allergic to, and you can also stay much away from them.
You can also get on the medication, which is required as prevention. Say Goodbye to Hay fever and enjoy your life allergy-free.
If you follow these things, you will never have to be dependent on anyone for Hay Fever Treatment or even experience it, again!