Most families have a single child or no child at all. Modern lifestyle, busy schedules, ambition, career, lack of support system, limited income sources n many such explanations are given by couples who choose to have a single child. It has become a pop culture. People find it hard to give time to families.A kid needs a lot of time n care from both the parents.It becomes difficult to manage especially when both the parents are working.
I have spoken to few of my friends who raise a single child. They seem to be comfortable with it. The child has all the attention and care from parents & doesn’t need to make any extra efforts for it. Parents can manage professional & personal together without overlooking needs & comforts of their child. It seems to be an ideal situation in all sense of the word.
On the contrary, I have witnessed some single kids having tough time to manage in certain situations
- A single child, due to extra attention, find it difficult to share his/ her belongings with friends or family.
- Due to extra pampering, such kids become stubborn.They can’t take no for an answer.
- Emotional & psychologically they become extremely dependent on their parents
- Their extreme attachment with parents create problems in their marital life
- Parents are very possessive about their only child. They tend to neglect his/ her wrong doing & fulfil all his demands.
- Single kid has a lonely childhood, he seeks attention & involvement of parents or people around him all the time
- Such kids have difficulty in expressing his/ her thoughts.At times, they become introverts
- Parents have high expectations from their kid, resulting in building tremendous pressure on him.
- When kid moves out of home comfort & face hard realities, it becomes difficult for him to adjust to situations & changed circumstances.
- They are more sensitive than those kids who are raised with siblings. They demand absolute control over all their belongings.They get hurt easily.
- After the demise of parents, they have no one to call family .At times of difficulties or stress, they find it hard to reach out to anyone for help.
Every situation has its advantages & disadvantages. It’s a personal decision. Speak to your child understand his needs.Think long term. Access all possibilities before making a decision. Decisions are your but future is of your beloved child !!