As you read the article, the Philadelphia Museum of Art (PMA) is undergoing a massive makeover amounting to $525 million. We thought to give you a glimpse of the existing Museum before it all changed forever.
Major parts of the museum are currently under renovation that will go on until 2022. The ‘core project’, as it is named, is planned to renovate the museum and create a new gallery space of 25,000 ft. It is reported that despite the construction work of such magnitude, the museum is still open for the public to except for some restricted areas.
Without further ado, let’s take a virtual walk inside one of the most famous and frequented place in philadelphia.
Photo Tour of Philadelphia Museum of Art
I started my tour with the gigantic hub of art, the Philadelphia Museum of art. It is truly the house of art with so many permanent and temporary exhibits displayed from time to time. The building is huge with many sections solely dedicated to a particular era, art or artist. You need a couple of hours to explore it.
Things to do
What can you do in the Museum? Actually plenty of things. I could easily spend the entire day!
- There are regular guest talks held at the museum. Who wouldn’t want to hear about the art from the artist himself?
- Take a tour. It is a lot to take in believe me. It’s a good idea to take a tour with a guide or take a self-guided audio tour.
- Check out the live performance by renowned artists and groups.
- Indulge in some shopping at the inhouse shop
Location map & hours
Address: of America
Opening Hours: Tuesday- 10:00-5:00pm
Friday – 10:00-8:45pm
Sunday – 10:00-8:45pm
Events & Galleries
Many events, guest speakers and live performances are organized in the museum. You can check it online for the schedule.
There are almost 200 galleries in the Museum dedicated to different artists, countries, art or era. You need coupe or hours or more to soak in the art scattered all around you.
Things to Know Before You go
There are certain Do’s And Don’ts while visiting the museum. I have compiled a list of instructions that need to be followed during your visit. However, It is always a better idea to check with the authority at the museum or check their instructions online to avoid any blunders.
Photography– First thing first, nowadays all the visitors are more interested in capturing the scene than admiring it. Thanks to high-quality mobile cameras and easy to use dsl, photogrpahy has become quite popular. Hence the musuem has laid out few rules.
- Selfie sticks are NOT allowed.
- Do not use flash during photography
- Photography is prohibited in certain sections
- You CAN’T use the images for commercial use.
- Be mindful while photographing inside the museum so as not to damage any art.
Pin it to save on Pinterest
You will love to read more